Ian Massey, Director
Ian Massey co-founded MDA Consulting in 2000 and is responsible for the operations of the MDA Durban Office. As a director of MDA, Ian contributes towards and participates in the management and development of the firm as a whole.
A Chartered civil engineer by profession, Ian has 18 years of contracting construction experience and over 30 years commercial consulting experience. He has worked with some of South Africa’s largest contractors and employers providing specialist services in the building, construction, engineering and mining industries in the promotion and defence of contract claims; management of disputes; alternative dispute resolution and project structuring. He also has experience in forensic audits and has provided expert witness services in a number of arbitrations.
Ian is an adjudication practitioner and has provided services as an adjudicator under all the contract forms commonly used in Southern Africa.
Ian’s depth of knowledge is evident from the range of construction and contract forms that he has worked on both locally and internationally. He has made a special study of and is an expert in the quantification of disruption and acceleration claims.
Ian is a guest lecturer at the University of Pretoria’s Construction Adjudication diploma course. He presents in-house, public and on-line training courses on various contract forms, claims and estimating.
- Diploma in Civil Engineering, Leeds College of Technology, 1968, UK
- ICE Part II Exams 1969
Memberships / Positions
- Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers (UK) (F.I.C.E)
- Chartered Engineer (C.Eng)
- Member of SA Institution of Civil Engineers (MSAICE)
- FIDIC President’s List Adjudicator
- ICE-SA NEC Adjudicator and Editorial Advisory Panel member of ICE’s international journal Management, Procurement and Law
- Associate of the Association of Arbitrators (AArb)
- CAASA Adjudication Panel member
Keenan Perry, Associate
Keenan graduated from the University of KwaZulu Natal with a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) in 2017. He completed his articles of clerkship at an established firm in Durban in January 2020. Following his admission as an attorney in March 2020, he was retained as an associate. Practicing in a general law practice, he gained valuable experience in all areas of law but specialised in commercial and civil litigation, having obtained an Advanced Trial Advocacy Training Certificate from the Black Lawyers Association (BLA) in 2021. Keenan joined MDA Consulting as an associate in October 2021.
- LLB (Bachelor of Laws), University of KwaZulu-Natal, 2017
- Advanced Trial Advocacy Training, BLA, 2021